A great idea is to use teff flour in this recipe, which is a gluten-free, whole grain baking flour. Teff is an ancient Ethiopian grain, tiny in size but packed with nutrients. It’s higher in protein than wheat and has a high amount of calcium, and thiamin (a b vitamin), and it has twice the amount of iron then wheat and barley. Its also a great source of fiber and will not spike your blood sugar like so many other refined grains do. You can easily substitute it in any recipe that calls for wheat flour. An idea is to use 1/2 almond flour, 1/2 teff flour. The almond flour makes whatever you are baking nice and moist.
1 cup teff flour
1 cup almond flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup apple sauce
4 tbsps organic butter, melted
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup organic maple syrup
1 organic egg
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 175 C. Grease a muffin pan.
2. Combine teff flour and baking powder together and mix.
3. In another bowl, combine apple sauce, maple syrup, egg, and melted butter. Mix well.
4. Add cranberries to the bowl with the flour mixture. Toss to coat them.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until combined.
6. Fill muffin pan and bake for 25 mins.
Makes 12 delicious muffins