Use wholemeal Lebanese or pita breads as your base. Just spoon on tomato paste and toppings and cook them on a baking tray.
Make your own homemade dough with a mixture of plain and wholemeal flour. Try the following recipe:
Wholemeal Pizza Dough
Makes one 30cm pizza crust
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 7g (1 tbs) yeast
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- ¾ cup plain flour
- Combine warm water, oil and salt in a small bowl and sprinkle in yeast. Stand for 5 minutes until foamy.
- Combine both flours in a food processor. With machine running, add yeast mixture. After dough forms a ball, move it to a lightly floured surfance (such as the clean benchtop). Knead briefly until smooth and elastic.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking oil spray; place dough in the bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm spot until it doubles in size. This will take about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 210°C. Knock back dough and roll into a 30cm circle. Spray a non-stick baking tray with cooking oil spray. Place dough on tray and top as desired. Bake until light brown and crunchy or around 15 to 20 minutes.
A few words about tomato sauce and cheese:
- Try using a tomato based pasta sauce which is low in fat or a container of tomato paste.
- Excessive cheese does not produce a good pizza, and it adds lots of kilojoules. A pizza without cheese can be delicious, or try dolloping with ricotta or some crumbled feta cheese. If you do opt for cheese, buy a good-quality low-fat cheese and use it sparingly. You’ll only need about 60g of grated cheese.
Nine ideas for pizza toppings
- Capsicum, Goats Cheese and Spinach Pizza
Top pizza base with baby spinach leaves. Place capsicum strips on top of the leaves, and dollop with goats cheese.
- Zucchini and Ham Pizza
Cover crust thinly with pizza base sauce. Grate large zucchini; squeeze out all moisture. Toss with finely diced, low-fat ham; sprinkle on base. Top with grated parmesan cheese, then bake.
- Prawn and Salsa Pizza
Spread a thin layer of fat-free tomato salsa over the base. Cover with cooked, peeled prawns. Sprinkle grated low-fat cheese on top. Dot with fat-free sour cream after baking.
- Sweet Potato, Rocket and Feta Pizza
Cover crust thinly with pizza base sauce. Top with roasted sweet potato. Bake until golden, add rocket leaves and crumbled feta.
- Easy Vegie Pizza
Cover crust with chopped, frozen mixed vegetables (thawed). Bake. Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar and, if desired, extra-virgin olive oil before serving.
- BBQ Chicken Pizza
Cover crust with a thin layer of BBQ sauce. Sprinkle sliced BBQ chicken breast, chopped red onion, coriander and grated mozzarella over top before baking.
- Chicken Fajita Pizza
Top crust with thinly sliced onion and capsicum. Sprinkle canned, chopped green chillies and sliced BBQ chicken breast over pizza before baking.
- Hawaiian Pizza
Place drained pineapple rings on crust. Sprinkle with chopped lean bacon, thinly sliced shallots and low-fat grated cheese before baking.
- Smoked Salmon Pizza
Cover crust with thinly sliced tomatoes. Add slices of smoked salmon and chopped red capsicum. When golden, top with low-fat ricotta cheese.