DRIED FRUIT SLICES
* 125 g dried dates, pitted & chopped (= 24 dates, or 1 cup chopped up)
* 125 g figs (I use organic apricots = 16 or 1/3 cup chopped), chopped
* grated zest & juice of 1 orange
+ cold water
* 150 g (1 ¼ cups) plain (wholemeal is good!) flour
* ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
* 90 g (1 cup) rolled oats
* 75 g (2/3 cup) pecans or a mixture of hazelnuts and almonds
* 90 g (1/2 cup) brown sugar
* 95 g unsalted butter (preferably!), cubed
This makes about 15 slices and it’s delish!!!
- Preheat oven to 170C
- Grease a 25cm x 18cm pan
- Place dried fruit in a small pan, add half the orange zest. Make the juice up to 275ml with cold water. Pour over the fruit & bring to a gentle simmer.
- Cover pan and cook gently until fruit is soft & mushy, about 20 min.(Instead of, I cook it in the microwave for 2×5 mins on med). Remove from heat and leave to cool.
- Chop nuts finely (I use a Breville!) and toast in oven.
- Sift flour and bicarb into a bowl and stir in oats and nuts. Add sugar and remaining zest and mix well.
- Add butter and work in well with fingertips till mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Pat half this mixture into base of tin, then fold rest into the fruit mixture.
- Press this mixture into tin on top of the base. Bake for 25 min or until golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before cutting into slices.
- Freezes well