Enjoy this delicious shrimp salad as part of your Healthiest Way of Eating. It makes a great light meal on its own, or you can serve it as a side salad to a larger meal. Rich in health-promoting nutrients you will receive 60% of the Daily Value (DV) for vitamin C, 56% DV for protein, 53% DV for vitamin K, and 44% DV for folate and much more. Enjoy
|Prep and Cook Time:
- Press garlic and let sit for at least 5 minutes to bring out its hidden health benefits.
- Make sure shrimp is completely thawed and patted dry with a paper towel, or it will dilute the flavor of the salad.
- Add broth to medium skillet and after it has heated up, Healthy Sauté asparagus for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together lemon, oil, mustard, honey, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss shrimp, asparagus, parsley, and tomato with dressing and herbs. Allow shrimp salad to marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Discard outer leaves of lettuce head, rinse, dry, and chop. Serve shrimp mixture on bed of lettuce and top with crumbled goat cheese, if desired.
Healthy Cooking Tips:
Buying shrimp that is still frozen will ensure that it will be as fresh as possible. Because all shrimp comes frozen in stores once they have thawed they lose their freshness very quickly. This recipe was created to be very quick and easy, so we added already cooked shrimp to the ingredient list. If you have the time, obviously it would have better flavor if the shrimp was raw and you cooked it yourself. It is very important either way to make sure the shrimp is patted dry. Otherwise it will dilute the flavor of your salad. Also, if you plan ahead, this salad will taste even better if it marinates for a couple of hours. It’s easiest to cut the bunch of asparagus at the same time. Just line up ends, cut off the bottom fourth (which is fibrous) and cut rest into 1-inch pieces.
Start your Healthy Saute by heating 1 TBS of broth in a stainless steel skillet over medium heat. Once the broth begins to bubble add onions and saute stirring frequently. After the onions have cooked for about 5 minutes, you can then add other ingredients such as garlic, or fresh ginger. Once they have had a chance to cook together for just another minute, add other vegetables. This method enables you to have flavorful sauteed vegetables without heating oil.