You can add this easy-to-prepare salad to your Healthiest Way of Eating in a matter of minutes. Not only is it an excellent source of health-promoting vitamins A, C, and E, but it provides 16% of your Daily Value for folate. Enjoy!
|Prep and Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Slice onion and place in a small bowl with vinegar and hot water while preparing rest of the ingredients.
- Heat 3 TBS broth over medium heat in a stainless steel skillet.
- While broth is heating, snap off the woody bottom of asparagus stems, then cut the spears into 2-inch lengths. Cutting them into short pieces of equal length ensures quick, even cooking.
- When broth begins to steam, add asparagus. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. The outside will be tender and the inside will be crisp. Thinner spears will take about 3 minutes.
- After about 10 minutes, remove onion from hot water and squeeze dry.
- Mix together roasted peppers with marinated onion, asparagus, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Marinate for 4-5 minutes and serve warm.
- Optional: If you use fresh red bell peppers, Healthy Saute (look into other asparagus recipe for this) them for 7 minutes and toss with rest of ingredients in place of roasted peppers