Posted from Australian Lifestyle Fitness
There is a great deal of hype around the Lemon Detox Diet. Celebrities such as Mariah Carey and Beyonce Knowles swear by it and there are many stories of significant short term weight loss on the diet. So lets find out what it is all about and if it could work for you.
How the Lemon Detox Diet Works
While on the diet your only intake throughout the day is the lemon detox drink which consists of lemon, tree syrup, cayenne pepper, salt, herbal tea and water. Many of these ingredients are recognised as releasing toxins in the body. All the ingredients play different roles in the detoxifying process.
- Lemon juice – Is meant to flush waste through the body, in particular through the blood stream, putting less strain on the digestive system.
- Cayenne pepper – speeds up the metabolism which helps promote the cleansing process.
- Salt/Herbal tea – helps stimulate bowl movement which give the toxins a path out of the body.
- Water – Keeps the body hydrated and aides the cleansing process.
- Tree syrup – Contains nutrients and calories to keep the body functioning during the diet. It is also claimed that the quality of this tree syrup is pertinent for the success of the diet and justifies the hefty price for otherwise cheap ingredients.
These ingredients are mixed together to form and drink and the diet consists of having 6 – 10 of these drinks each day.
Lemon Detox under the microscope.
Each drink has roughly 60 calories, so by restricting your diet to only 600 calories a day you will lose weight, however it is not catch free. Given the average person requires around 2000 calories each day this diet creates a large calorie deficit. This causes the body to go into starvation mode, slowing your metabolism down. When your body shuts down like this you tend to feel tired and lethargic, and the body converts what little calories it gets into fat and preferentially breaks down muscle. The net effect of this is after short term weight loss, the body puts weight back on quickly, and in most cases the muscle lost will be replaced with fat.